Kolkata: Sagarika Bhattacharya and Anurup Bhattacharya’s kids are still separated from their parents. The couple were arrested in Norway last may for child rights abuse as per the Norway child protection agency. While the estranged father is continuing to work in Norway, their nightmare of Norway has been revived back in India. Sagarika has since come back to India, while the children, Abhigyan and Aishwariya, were not handed over to her. Instead the kids were given to her estranged husband’s brother who lives in Bengal’s Burdwan district. The children had been taken away by Norway’s child protection agency, allegedly because they felt the mother was unfit to care for her children.
The Burdwan Child Welfare Committee (CWC) has on several occasions visited the children and have said that the kids are not doing well. Moreover, the person taking care of them now, is a 16 year old untrained domestic help. There has been no movement for Sagarika, who is now helpless despite running pillar to post for getting her kids back.
Is no one bothered about the kids? Such archaic laws of another land is no where near to our misunderstanding of child protection and rights. Norway at least has rules laid out to get children justice, however, forceful and inconsiderate it might sound. India is still not able to decide for two kids who need parental care in the formative years of their lives! What stops the agencies to get medical, psychological opinions to work faster and give the kids back to a Mother they needs desperately.
- Indian couple arrested in Norway for disciplining kid (thehindu.com)
- Norway custody nightmare continues in Bengal (ndtv.com)
- Burdwan panel orders Bhattacharya children returned to mother (thehindu.com)
- Norway custody case: Give children to mother, say Bengal’s child welfare officials (ndtv.com)
- Rights panel seeks report from police on Bhattacharya children (thehindu.com)
- “I am not an unfit mother,” says Sagarika as new custody battle begins (ndtv.com)
- ET53 :: Indian couple arrested in Norway for disciplining child, alleges their family (ektamacha.com)
- ET58:: Indian couple convicted in Norway for alleged child abuse (ektamacha.com)