Abhijeet Mukherjee, MP, President Pranab Mukherjee’s son, has kicked up a controversy with his uncouth comments on the Delhi Gang rape agitation. He has described the protests as being a “nautanki” or drama. He also went to another extent when he said that “dented and painted good looking women were giving television interviews on the subject. of gang rape”. `He doubted these things.. …from appearance point of view, as he felt that these women did not appear to be students. He went on to say that students these days, walk the streets with candlelights and go to discotheques. During his days as a student he led a different life. To top it all, he said all this on camera !!
Quite expectedly, his comments have evoked very strong reactions from the politicos, and from a wide cross section of our society. He has since apologised – saying that he did not intend to hurt sentiments. He also claimed that his statements have been interpreted in the wrong manner and taken out of context. “Shri” Abhijeet Mukherjee is a Lok Sabha MP from the Jangipur constituency of West Bengal’s Murshidabad district, where he won with a thin margin after his father resigned from the Lok Sabha membership prior to the Presidential race.
- How does he know that the women were not students, has he done psychoanalysis, just by looking at the videos on TV?
- Is he repenting the fact that he was unable to do these things during his hey days? Sorry that Murshidabad did not have discotheques, but candle lights were aplenty..to spend your power “load-shedding”
- Of course his statements were taken out of context, that is what the media always does, camera can footage can always lie and can always be doctored.
- Abhijit kicks up controversy with insensitive comments, later apologises (thehindu.com)
- Shocked at Abhijit’s remark: Pranab’s daughter (ibnlive.in.com)
- President’s son terms Delhi women protestors ‘dented-painted’, apologises (vancouverdesi.com)
- I apologise for dented-painted comment: Abhijit Mukherjee (ibnlive.in.com)
- Pranab’s son calls anti-rape protesters ‘dented-painted’ (ibnlive.in.com)
- Indian President’s Son Comments Against Delhi Gang-Rape Protesters Shocks Nation, Twitteratti (ibtimes.com)
- President’s son apologises for remarks on ‘dented and painted’ women protesters (ndtv.com)
- President’s son makes sexist comment against Delhi protestors (gulfnews.com)
- Delhi protests are by ‘dented and painted’ women: President Pranab’s son (ndtv.com)
- Sexist comment ‘dents’ President’s son (thehindu.com)